Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Temptation of Ben

During the Hartford show there was an exhibitor who came by and offered some suggestions about what I could do to make my pictures more saleable. This person was definitely on the craft side of things rather than the art side with what he was selling. He told me about one photographer he knew who would take portraits of people and distort them in amusing ways in Photoshop. He also mentioned some other shticks that photographers were using to sell their work. He meant well and I appreciated his concern for my sales situation. But I don't think he needs to be worried about me. He doesn't see what I see and hear what I hear. In every show I've been to there has been a certain select group of people who are drawn to my booth. Most people drift by barely registering its existence. But those who do stop are quite enthusiastic about what they see- the compliments are very effusive. And some of them even purchase prints. There are more compliments than purchases but that will always be the case. The people who like my work really, really like it. So who are these people?

I've been curious about this and have asked them a bit about themselves to get a feel for who they are. Some are simply well-educated, intelligent people. Many are experienced art festival patrons. Some of them are other artists. Some are amateur and professional photographers, scientists, art educators, gallery owners/managers, nature lovers, and young aspiring photographers. In other words all the right people. These kinds of people have been a minority of the crowd coming through the venues I've been to so far. But that will change. There are summer festivals where the more cultured demographic will be the dominant one as opposed to the blue collar demographic (though I don't mean to be putting the blue collar folks down- it takes all types to make the world go around.) From everything I've seen so far I expect to do well in these events.

My work is attracting the attention of the right people. And my work is getting me into the quality festivals. So I don't think I'll need to resort to Photoshop chicanery to manipulate people into buying my prints. I'll be patient until the more sophisticated venues of summer. Or maybe I'll become disillusioned and cynical and start putting a cardinal or two in every picture and showing up at my booth drunk on festival mornings. We'll see.