Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mayfair Festival of the Arts, Allentown PA

Mayfair starts these evening. I don't know much about it yet other than it has lots of people. The official numbers are 200,000. Friends who've attended it said that number sounds reasonable. The largest event I've done so far was maybe around 20,000. So this will be a festival on a whole new scale. It will also be my first five day festival.

The thing I'm most excited about is the hours. It runs from 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. though I guess we can be open later than that if we want to. I haven't been to an event yet that runs later than 6:00 p.m. I don't tend to sell anything before 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon. Especially at the indoor fairs that started at 10:00 a.m. I would sit around for the first several hours despairing of selling anything time after time. Then late afternoon I'd start selling. I guess the kind of people who like my work don't come out till later in the day. It was getting to the point where I was thinking about not showing up until noon but you can't really do that. So it'll be cool to see what happens with evening hours.

A bird dropped crap on my shoulder as I left to drive out here yesterday. A friend said bird crap is good luck. I'm not sure where she got that. I'd think getting crapped on is a negative indicator but maybe bird crap is special. It was a lucky shot anyway.