Saturday, May 26, 2007

Mayfair is a Train Wreck

I really, really want to report good news on this blog- I really do. But I can't yet. Mayfair is horrible. It's the sort of place bad artists (maybe I should say evil artists- there can't be any one place big enough for all the bad as in lousy artists) end up. It's artist hell. And I am in it for two more days. There's something kind of funny about all this. I just can't put my finger on it right now.

Mayfair was supposed to be a decent festival with lots of people. Not the best in the world but good. With lots of people. The people part has been missing. The woman next to me sells jewelry. She's from Florida and has been doing Mayfair for the past 15 years or so. This was the slowest Saturday attendance-wise in all that time. It's really bad. Everyone's sales are down. It's not like a modest decline down- it's more falling off a cliff down. And yes the woman beside me came up from Florida. I'm staying with a sister so aside from the booth fee it's not a huge expense. But other artists have major travel expenses in addition to the booth fee. I feel bad for them. To add insult to injury the food is terrible and expensive (the worst funnel cake I've had at any event so far.)

Maybe something miraculous will happen in the next two days. Maybe the artists will start rioting. I'll keep you posted.