Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Booth

I have only been to art fests in the summer time and that was my frame of reference for putting my booth together. Having done several indoor winter events now I realize that the indoor booth game is much different. In an ideal world it shouldn't be about the booth- just the work. But in reality the booth does matter. The other photographer's booths were all larger than mine, both in floor space and in height. The two artists on either side of me weren't 2D people but they both had higher booths- which made mine look kind of small and lost. I'll be able to correct the booth height situation for the next show- I'm not sure about the floor space. But the cool thing was that for all my booth mistakes I still had some number of people circulate through it and even purchase my work. They seemed to be the kind of people who are experienced attenders of art fests. In other words, the cultured intelligent types. I'll talk more about who my patrons are shaping up to be in another post.