Friday, March 30, 2007

My Current Lineup

My next event is Sugarloaf Gaithersburg, Maryland April 13th - 15th. It is their largest and longest running event. Other 2-D artists at Sugarloaf Hartford told me 2-D does very well in Gaithersburg. There'll be twice the number of photographers in Gaithersburg as there was in Hartford so I guess that says something. After that's it's Sugarloaf Timonium, Maryland at the end of April. I don't have any intel on that show yet- no idea what does well and what doesn't.

My first "real" summer arts festival will be the Mayfair Festival of the Arts in Allentown PA over Memorial Day weekend. It's my first fest with the word "arts" in the title as opposed to the word "crafts." Very exciting! People won't be looking at me like I'm an alien when they see my booth is full of 2 dimensional art nor will they be constantly asking "is this your work?" And then there'll be the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in State College in mid July which will be another real arts fest! Yay! Shows after that I've applied to are still jurying.

April 1 is another major deadline for a handful of important shows so I'm currently sorting through which ones I want to apply to. Some of these are for the summer but most take place in the early fall. The booth fees are nuts. How are people supposed to get started in this business with all the booth fees due before you've had a chance to earn significant income from the events themselves? Somehow it all seems backwards.